May 31, 2011

Infinite Variety

Ceesie finished reading a new great book.
After my favorite photographer Marcus Piggott recommended me to read the biography of Marchesa Luisa Casati I went to my favorite bookstore in NYC, located on 52 Prince street in Soho. I'd never heard of Luisa Casati before and I have to say that Marcus was correct, the book is A-mazing.
The Marchesa was a socialite in the first three decades of the Twentieth century. She was the most scandalous women of her time and wanted to be a living work of art.
Luisa was always dressed in the most crazy outfits and was covert from head to toe in leopard, lase and fur. She was infamous for her evening strolls, walking around with snakes and had all kinds of monkeys in her humongous houses.
She was obsessed with art and was a muse for many famous artists. Even today she is still an inspiration for many designers such as John Galliano, Tom Ford and Karl Lagerfeld and her life has been the subject of many movies and plays.
Ceesie loves reading biographies, you learn and read at the same time.


7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Cesar, for your praise of our biography of the Marchesa Casati. We hope that you can see a copy of our most recent book on her, "The Marchesa Casati: Portraits of a Muse", a large-sized coffee-table book, published by Abrams, which contains over 200 images of La Casati and her world. Thanks you again for your praise, Scot D. Ryersson & Michael Orlando Yaccarino

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) Your welcome... I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiiii Ces,
    I've just read,
    Annie Proulx's "Brokeback mountain".
    It's such an incredible novel,
    about the best frinds who love.
    Highly recommanded.
    My favorite story about love and friendship.
    Like movie too.
    Ennis del Mar and Heath Ledge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Cesar,

    I am pretty into her. I have a book on her, but it is in Italian. I need to get the book that you read.

    I hope you are good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought the book after a couple of my teachers recommended it to me!
    The story of her life is so amazing and beautiful, she's such an inspiration and for a women of her time she was very courageous.

    It's an amazing read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try "the Story of my Life" by Sarah Bernhardt who's supposed to be the best actress ever- although a little bit boring at times (she lived in the Belle Epoque Paris, after all), she'll reveal herself quite inspiring, with all her traveling and fame issues; perhaps you'll enjoy it too.
    She owned a couple of white lions, if I recall it well, was the lover of the Prince of Wells did all the outrageous things a woman of that era shouldn't have done.

    ReplyDelete